So recently (a couple of months ago now) I decided to potty train Gracie. This is my 3rd time potty training and I would probably say she was the most ready out of my three but the process was the longest.
I think it’s important to remember when potty training you can’t force it they have to be ready in themselves. Jake was two Alfie was two and half almost and Gracie was two and three months. But each time they all showed quite a few signs that they where ready.
This time however Gracie showed signs quite early on but I held off probably because she is my last and I want to keep her a baby as long as possible. This ended up with her hoaking and poking in her nappy and then coming to show everyone the contents ( yep it was as disgusting and messy as it sounds) so we decided to just go for it.
This isn’t a Potty training guide but more of what we used and why we started. Some signs to look out for.
- Pulling at a wet or dirty nappy.
- Hiding to pee or poo.
- Interest in others’ use of the toilet, or copying their behavior. ( we have mostly boys in our house and Gracie went through a phase of wanting to stand up to pee🤔)
- Having a dry nappy for a longer-than-usual time.
- wakening dry from a nap.
- Telling you that they’re about to go, are going or have just gone in their nappy .
- Can communicate with you that they need to go.
So we had quite a lot of what we needed from previous times potty training however I did by a new potty. Some of the items we have include;
- Pull ups
- Travel Potty or seat
- seat protector
- Potty training pants
- dry Like Me Potty Training Pads (I tried these with Alfie but wasn’t keen they may have worked better with Gracie though)
This time also Gracie sort of regressed after she had a sickness bug which I had never had with either boys. I wasn’t really sure what to do whether to put her back in nappies and try again in a few weeks or just persevere. Although she was having a lot of accidents she was still coming and saying that she needed to go to the toilet but she had already done it. When I would say to her where should she go she knew it was the Potty so we just stuck with it a within about a week she got back on track. We used lots of printables from Pinterest and Google to reward her with stickers when she went to the Potty you can fink a link to one here.